I made these crispy onion strips one day as a topping for a burger, and I decided that they are too good to be used just as a topping. So the next time I made them, I made a big batch and put them out as an appetizer with a dipping sauce, and they were a hit. Super easy to make, and super delicious!
2 Vidalia onions, cut in half and sliced thin
4 cups buttermilk
2 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. paprika
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. black pepper
½ cup mayonnaise
1 ½ tbsp. Sriracha (or ketchup, if you don’t like the spice)
- Place the onions in a large bowl or shallow baking dish and pour the buttermilk over the onions so all of the onions are covered. Allow to sit for 20 minutes.
- For the sauce, whisk together the mayonnaise and the Sriracha. Place in the refrigerator until ready to use.
- Combine the flour, salt, paprika, garlic powder, and pepper in another bowl or shallow dish. Using tongs, remove some of the onions from the buttermilk, coat with the flour mixture, and place on a baking sheet. Repeat this step with the remaining onions.
- Fill a large pot with oil to about 1 inch. Heat to medium heat. Once the oil is hot, use a clean set of tongs to take some of the onions from the baking sheet and place them in the hot oil. Be careful not to crowd the pot with too many onions- fry in batches. Once the onions are golden brown (this should only take a minute or two…keep your eye on them), remove them from the oil and place them on a large plate or baking sheet lined with paper towels. Repeat this process with the remaining onions.
- Serve the onions with the sauce. Enjoy!