I love almost anything with pumpkin, and when you combine it with pasta, I’m all in! This pasta dish combines so many delicious, aromatic flavors- pumpkin, sage, nutmeg, garlic, onions, and when you add in some white wine and chicken broth to create a silky, smooth sauce…seriously, what’s not to love? I use a bit of low-fat half and half to add some creaminess without all the fat of heavy cream, but feel free to use cream or regular half and half if you want the sauce extra creamy and indulgent.
As far as the protein, I used turkey sausage in this recipe to reduce the fat, but you could definitely use pork sausage, chicken sausage, or even ground beef if you are not a sausage fan. You can also change up the kind of pasta you use. I just happen to love rigatoni, but you do whatever floats your boat! 😊
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 lb. turkey sausage, casings removed
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 cup dry white wine
1 ½ cups chicken broth
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
¼ cup fresh sage, bundled up and sliced thin (aka chiffonade)
½ cup low fat (or regular) half and half
½ tsp. ground nutmeg
1 tsp. sugar
2 tbsp. freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus more for garnishing
Salt and Pepper
1 lb. rigatoni
1. Heat one tablespoon of oil over medium heat in a skillet. Crumble the turkey sausage into the pan and allow the turkey sausage to brown, turning and stirring when necessary. Add a bit of salt and pepper and stir. Transfer the sausage to a bowl and cover to keep warm.
2. In the same pan, add another tablespoon of oil and heat on medium. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until the onion turns soft. Add the wine and continue to cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes. Pour the broth into the pan and stir in the pumpkin puree until combined. Stir in the sage and allow the mixture to come to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Stir in the half and half, nutmeg, sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of salt and 1/4 teaspoon of pepper. Simmer for about 8-10 minutes.
3. While the sauce is simmering, boil water over high heat in a large pot and stir in about 1 tablespoon of salt. When the water has come to a boil, add the pasta and cook according to package directions (about 8-10 minutes). Drain the pasta.
4. Add the sausage, pasta, and about two tablespoons of parmesan cheese to the skillet with the sauce. Stir so that all of the pasta is coated with sauce.
5. Serve the pasta with extra parmesan cheese.