Potatoes would probably be my all-time favorite food. I love them baked, mashed, fried, roasted…not much you could do to a potato that would steer me away. And the twice baked potato would definitely be toward the top of that list!
These potatoes are surprisingly easy to make. It starts with simple baked potatoes that are cut in half and scooped out. The flesh is combined with cheese, bacon, and a few other ingredients and then spooned right back into the potato skin and baked.
Seriously…what’s not to love?
To my vegetarians out there- simply omit the bacon. Still delicious!
3 large Russet potatoes, washed and scrubbed clean
1 tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
6 pieces of bacon
1 ¼ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
¼ cup chopped scallions
½ cup sour cream
1 stick unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup milk
½ tsp. salt (plus a bit extra for sprinkling on the potato)
¼ tsp. pepper
¼ tsp. garlic powder
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Coat each potato with oil, prick each with a fork, and place them on a baking sheet. Sprinkle all sides with a bit of salt and bake until the potatoes are tender, about 1 hour 15 minutes (give or take). To check for doneness, prick with a fork. If the fork goes in easily, they are done! Allow the potatoes to cool slightly (at least 15 minutes).
2. While the potatoes are cooking, chop the bacon and fry it in a skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove the bacon to a paper towel lined plate.
3. Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Scoop out the flesh into a bowl, being sure to still leave about ¼ inch of the flesh still inside the skin. Place the potato skins onto a baking sheet.
4. Add ¾ cup of the cheese and the remaining ingredients to the bowl with the scooped out potato, reserving the rest of the cheese for the topping. Use an electric mixer (or a potato masher) to combine all ingredients together. Spoon the mixture evenly into the six potato skins. Top each with the remaining cheddar cheese.
5. Bake the potatoes for about 12-15 minutes or until the cheese has melted completely and the potatoes are nice and hot.