These chicken nuggets are soooo good! There is absolutely no need to buy pre-packaged nuggets when you can easily make these homemade nuggets of deliciousness. Both kids and adults will fall in love with these! I have included the recipe for a sauce that goes perfectly- a brown sugar mustard sauce, but feel free to use whatever sauce you like. Barbecue sauce, honey mustard, ketchup…anything goes!
1 cup buttermilk
½ tsp. garlic powder
½ tsp. salt
¼ tsp. black pepper
2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into chunks (about 1 ½ inch pieces)
1 ¼ cups Panko breadcrumbs
1 cup crushed Ritz crackers
½ cup mayonnaise
2 tbsp. Dijon mustard
2 tbsp. light brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Generously coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. Whisk together the buttermilk, eggs, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Add the chicken chunks and toss together to coat all of the chicken with the buttermilk mixture. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
3. In a shallow dish, stir together the breadcrumbs and the crackers.
4. Using tongs, transfer a few pieces of the chicken at a time to the bread crumb mixture. Turn to coat all sides of the chicken, the place the chicken on the baking sheet, separating each nugget at least an inch apart. Spray each nugget with the baking spray.
5. Bake the nuggets for 12 minutes, then use tongs to turn the chicken. Bake for another 8-10 minutes, or until the chicken is lightly browned and cooked through.
6. While the chicken is cooking, place the mayo, mustard, and brown sugar in a small bowl. Stir together until the ingredients are fully combined and smooth.
Serve the chicken nuggets with the brown sugar mustard sauce.