I’ve been trying to eat healthier meals (to balance out my recent addiction to ice cream and anything chocolate), and I think this one is going to be a staple in my house. It is soooo delicious, you forget how nutritious it is!
Don’t be intimidated by the long list of ingredients…it is actually very easy to make. I like to add jarred fruity salsa to the quinoa because it adds great flavor and a hint of sweetness. I also tend to add a little more to top it off at the end, but the toppings are up to you. I usually add cheese, sour cream, salsa, avocado, and some more lime juice to my bowl, but it is also perfectly delicious without all the toppings. And if you like things spicier, you can either add another chopped jalapeno or add some cayenne pepper. If you don’t like any spice, you can simply omit the jalapeno.
2 cups cooked quinoa
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
1 – 1½ lb. ground turkey
1 onion, chopped
1 red pepper, seeded and chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup frozen corn (or canned corn)
1 15-oz. can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tbsp. cumin
1 tbsp. chili powder
1 tbsp. paprika
2 tbsp. tomato paste
1 large tomato, chopped
¾ cup mango, peach, or pineapple salsa (right out of the jar)
¾ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Juice of ½ lime
Salt and pepper
Shredded cheddar cheese
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Add the ground turkey and cook until the turkey has browned and is cooked through, breaking up the turkey with a spoon as it cooks. Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper. Remove the turkey from the skillet (drain if necessary) and keep warm.
2. Add another tablespoon of oil to the skillet along with the onion, red pepper, jalapeno pepper, and garlic and sauté over medium heat for a few minutes, or until the veggies just start to get tender.
3. Stir in the quinoa, cooked turkey, corn, black beans, cumin, chili powder, paprika, 1 ½ teaspoons salt, and tomato paste and cook for another few minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir in the chopped tomato, salsa, cilantro, and lime juice.
5. Spoon the quinoa into bowls. Top with whatever toppings you like!